Monday, August 09, 2010

One Sheet Skiff or...

I'm debating if OSS stands for One Sheet Skiff or One Sh*&#y Ship. The S/V Sea Hawk is now partially completed. It's been a hell of a day. It wasn't until after I started the build that I realized everything I need to do a quick build is over at the S/V Pica site. Great....well it's just an obstacle right? So I thundered on, I have a deadline to meet! Got the sides cut out and then dug right on in to the center frame. It was raining like crazy so I was in my neighbors shop. Got the frame finished and the rain stopped. Wandered next door and did a test fit. Hmmmm...something wasn't right. Made the frame 4 1/2" to long. No problem, took 2 1/4" inches out of each side and secured them back together.
Now the directions say to attach the stem first. This is the same general design as the Teal and the Mayfly 14 so I decided to warp the sides around the main frame. Turns out the work table I have isn't exactly flat. Well crap. Then I found out my Titebond I swore I had kicking around here wasn't to be found. So I used some Gorilla Wood Glue. We'll see how it turns out. But with lots and lots and lots of little nails I got the sides on the frame.She started  looking like a boat so I was doing something right.
Found some decent 1/4 ply in the scrap heap and framed up the transom. Now here is the odd thing: The sides are 9" high but the transom is listed on the plans as 10 1/2" inches high. Oh well I followed the plans. Now it should be mentioned at this point I was beyond the point of no return, I was going to get as much done before dark as possible. Attached the transom and figured if it was wrong I could maybe..uh...we'll figure it out.
Now for the last part of the evening, the stem. Oh the stem. I have access to a table saw but it's not ready yet. So I had to use a jigsaw. Next time I'd rather nail my tongue to a cactus using a rusty Popsicle stick and a dull hammer then ever do that again. In the end it was a bloody inch short. Oh well looks fine from about fifteen feet away so why worry?. Slobbered some glue on it and with a few 3/4 screws got the stem installed.
Right now I'm sweaty and tired and need a shower. My throat and nose are full of sawdust and I itch. But  have a good start on my boat. The OSS is a decent size and I would suggest anyone out there build it. But make sure you have everything you need first.
Not to shabby, not to shabby at all.
Tomorrow I plan on getting the gunwales and chines on to stiffen her up. Bottom will go on later in the week. This boat will be saved by PL Premium, God's gift to those who build cheap boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment