Sunday, August 01, 2010

First Steps

How does one start a boat building blog? This is actually my second blog on the subject, the first is for my "company", but this shall be dedicated solely to the the process of building my second boat. My first boat was a success if of limited scope. S/V Wawona was an 8' Harley 8 sloop an excellent first boat.
For years I've wanted to build a boat and one day went out, bought the lumber and did so. She was a sturdy little boat and served me well. Wawona was featured in the 2010 Home Built Boat Show held at The Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle, Washington. Below is a picture of her and myself underway on Lake Union during the show.
Photo Courtesy Tim Yeodan
But Wawona was destined to stay, as her namesake, in the Puget Sound area. She was given to the artist in residence at CWB, Haida master carver Saaduuts for his grand children. I hope she finds a home on the Salish Sea and continues to bring joy to those that sail her.
I returned to Montana boatless and broke, but elated. I had conquered bigger waters then the local pond and was awash in knowledge and the desire for more. Being around some of the big names in the Northwest wooden boat world had filled me with the drive to make a truly usable boat, something a narrow skiff would not fulfill. Even before I had headed further west I was toying with what I wanted for my next boat. It was down to two contenders, the famous Puddle Duck Racer, or the Bolger Teal. Both had their pluses and minuses. The PDR was a boxy eight foot boat but it sailed well and could carry a crew and gear. The Teal was a very elegant boat but even at twelve feet long could only comfortably carry one. Then while at the HBBS I experienced the Caledonian Yawl known as Luna.
Luna was captained by Todd Waffner and was kind enough to bring me aboard and show me what sailing was really like. It was a blast.
Here was a boat that was big by my standards anyway and stable. It sailed well and with only two aboard it seemed to fly over the water. I wanted this. So on the way home I went over what I wanted in a boat.
  • The ability to carry more then one person safely and comfortably.
  • A proven design with a greater build history then the Harley 8. 
  • Enough room to sleep one in relative comfort, and if not carry the gear to allow it.
  • "Instant" construction using plywood.
  • Small car compatible, either on top or behind.
This meant the Teal was out and the PDR could meet these requirements if I stretched them a bit. The thing was I didn't want to stretch them. I wanted the first of the boats I have not doubt I'll be building. One that will grow with me and teach me more about not building but sailing as well. So the search was on for a new boat. While browsing my local Barnes and Noble I stumbled across Jim Michalak's Boatbuilding for Beginners (And Beyond). In the back I saw it had full plans for several of his boats but in a slightly reduced size. One of them was for a fourteen foot sailboat. Fourteen feet? I could build a fourteen foot boat. I sat down and read more. I felt the excitement building in me. Here was a boat that could fit the requirements I had set out. With a full list of plans and a step by step guide. The level of difficulty would be a bit higher but nothing I couldn't do or had not done already. It was settled. I had found my next boat.
 Mayfly 14 built by John Dominique of Louisiana
So at this point all the remains is to get started. The hardest part of any project. And this is a far more encompassing project then my last! With a weight of close to if not over 200lbs I'll need a trailer. Which means a trailer hitch for my 1970 Volkswagen Type 1 (Beetle, Bug). The tongue of the trailer I'm looking at will have to be lengthened to accommodate the vessel, not to mention the wiring for the lights.
It's easy to get overwhelmed by the multitude of details, but if you take it one step at a time, it's quite easy.
Now on the name, which a few have wondered about. The truth is it comes from James Cameron's Avatar. Neytiri's Ikran was named Seze or Blue Flower. I loved the idea of the Ikran and the ability to experience something that you had to work for. imagined having a boat would be very much like that. Getting aboard and harnessing the wind to go places you might not go otherwise without the need for an engine.
So I give you the S/V Blue Flower. Let's see how this goes.

1 comment:

  1. That's an choice for a boat, James. The Mayfly 14 will fulfill all the requirements you listed. I just checked Montana's boating regulations
    http://www.boat-ed.com/mt/handbook/register.htm
    and you'll need to register a 14ft sailboat, but not a 12ft sailboat (as long as you don't use a motor.)

    Some friends and I have been working on a modification of the PDR to make a Goose-12. You can see the specs here:
    http://smallboatadventuring.com/plans/goose/index.htm

    ReplyDelete