Friday, August 27, 2010

Boat Camping Wish List

Don't think I'll get any boat work done today so I thought I'd post one one of my favorite topics, Boat Camping. The allure of heading out on a local lake and going from spot to spot for a few days has really fired my imagination. Last night it was waiting out a rain storm, who knows what it will be tomorrow! But I thought I'd throw up a wish list of gear. Now it should be noted that this is not everything and just what my rather uniformed mind would like. But for those of you wondering, here is my list:

-Bivy Sack
A must for boat camping. Near as I can understand it's a one man tent that could be set up IN my boat. How cool is that? I figure I'll carry a full tent for shore excursions but if I'm on the boat for the night it seems to make sense. It'll need to be waterproof and had a good price. And I'd like a full bivy, not just a "shelter". A one man tent may fit the bill. But it is my plan to ask for a bivy for Christmas.
Lightsabre Bivy by Black Diamond

-Camp Stove
Again an essential if I want to eat more then Cliff Bars and trail mix. Okay I'm reaching a bit there but having a couple of sizzling sausages in the morning while I watch a hunting Great Blue Heron while sipping a mug of hot chocolate seems like it's the way to go. Or turning plump freshly caught trout with the blade of my boat knife while I wait to for my tea to boil. Will it happen? Who knows but this is all in my mind at the moment. Something small and one burnery I think. Or an old battleship Coleman two burner. I think in my future boat I'll have the room for one of the green monstrosities, I grew up with them so I have no doubt one would continue to serve me well.
Coleman Fold n' Go Instastart 2 Burner Stove

 -New PFD
I have one and would never imagine sailing a small boat without it. But I would like a new one. A PFD that gives me more room to move and doesn't break the bank. I've been looking at kayaking vests and they may fit the bill. Will need to hit my local REI to ask questions and find a good one. But I think for extending sailing my current PFD will be better left as a back up or emergency floatation.

Extrasport Eagle Type III PFD

-GPS
A back up to my tennis ball log and compass. Not a necessity but it would be nice to have. Something rugged and inexpensive. I don't want a $400 dollar unit on my local lakes. If I ever move or journey father afield a full featured GPS would be the order of the day. But right now, it's not.
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS


-Marine Compass
This is a must for any kind of navigation. I'd prefer the marine type. If I can get one in a binnacle all the better but I can forsake fomanticism for functionality.
Tr-31Gclm by Ritchie
-Spy Glass
Because I want one dammit!
Tesco Specialty 25x30mm Brass Spyglass
-Binoculars
Because it's smart. And a good pair will last forever.
NcStar BA1050R 10x50 Full Size Binoculars

-Marine/Weather Radio
This one is also a must. I can call for help and keep track of my local weather. 'nuff said.
Cobra MR HH125 Compact Waterproof Marine Handheld Radio
Foul Weather Gear
-Because not having it in the great state of Montana for any sort of outdoor activity is just plain stupid. And if I get one the odds are it won't rain because I have it.
Coleman PVC/Nylon Rain Suit

Well there you have my current want list All the items can be found on Amazon for less then $100 and if you'd like to send me stuff, go right ahead. I'm off to live vicariously through others blogs. I can smell the campfire now!

No comments:

Post a Comment