Monday, August 02, 2010

The Importance of Tools

Today marks a milestone in my boat building career I have purchased my first power tool, a saber saw. It's an orange $5 Kmart special most likely older then me but as near as I can tell it works.
 And that is the important thing. As I read various blogs I find that tools and the acquisition of tools play a huge part in boat building. For the instant boats I build a jigsaw is key. Cutting sides or ripping rub rails it makes the job simple and easy although I suppose a circular saw could do it faster. But there is something satisfying about watching that blade chew up a line that you drew with precision. In an afternoon sides and a transom appear. And soon the cutting is all done.
In prep for the up coming build I grabbed a table from a friend of mine, propped it up on some sawhorses and now I have a workspace, something lacking in my last build. A decent place to work is just as important as having decent tools. I'm looking forward to laying my tools out in the morning and having a place for everything as I work. That will save time as I'll not be searching the lawn looking for the nail I dropped or wondering where I put my wrench.
Over the weekend my buddy Andrew Linn posted build pics of the Lazy Weekend Canoe a boat that has many similarities to my upcoming Mayfly. Andrew builds boats like I hope to and it shows in this build.

No comments:

Post a Comment