Saturday, August 07, 2010

Did I I Forget to Mention...

My first spirit sail. 25 sq. ft.
In my last post I made the comment I'm cheap and lazy. I'm also rather impatient. The sail for the S/V Sea Hawk is done. Yes yes I know I said it was going to be a gaff rig. But I don't have the blocks nor the lines to set up a gaff rig tonight. After looking at it I DID have all the parts for the spirit rig. Took a few notches in the mast and spirit and I had a sail.
This is the best sail I've made so far. The shape is much, much better the then any of my previous sails. I don't get the wrinkles or folding at any of the edges when the wind hits it. Sail creation is not witchcraft it just takes some time and research. The sail was amazingly easy to put together and I see why it's a popular sail option for small boats. I need to figure out a better snotter (How cool is that? Snotter snotter snotter!) set up but the sail is done. In his book, Jim Michalak says to build the sail first. With that out of the way the only thing left to do is get the hull built.
And it even works!

No comments:

Post a Comment