Friday, August 27, 2010

A Day of Work

The year is 1905 and Seitz Boat Yard and Print Shop is running two shifts.
Spent a good day at The Typesetter's house helping him work on his boat, the S/V Pica. By helping him I sat in the shade reading a wooden boat book, took some photo's and held things when he needed. it. But the end result was a finished mast and mast partner and a completed bottom. It's a truly and amazing thing to watch a boat come together. Doing it with a good friend is even better. And by better I mean constant petty bickering that leads to more thinking and good results. It's a good time had by all. That's probably why it's just the two of using doing it.
S/V Pica enjoying her new bottom.
I work best in the morning for some odd reason. I like it when the sun is coming up and the world is just getting up. No better time to work. So for the last few weeks I've been stopping by The Seitz Boat Yard and Print Shop to assist in the creation of the Montana's newest home built boat.
On a previous entry I made mention of the idea that changing the plans kills kittens and cuts off your fingers. I should clarify after our session today. There is a huge difference between changing the plans for the sake of changing the plans room to set them "right" again. I'm sure The Typesetter can cover what is and is not changed but we're, that is HE, is gong about it right. How those decisions are arrived at is not as important. What is important that a lot of thought and banter goes into these decisions. For myself I'm building a boat vicariously and it's a blast. It's nice to to see how my Mayfly will get together and after watching this boat I'm pleased to say it'll be quick and painless. I hope. but I know I can count on a good friend to help me. Because he'll have another boat to build. Even if he doesn't know it yet.. So I'll end with some photo's taken during the build today. You can see how the boat is coming along well, the creation of the new mast step and partner and a man building a boat to get away from it all. Doing a pretty good job of it I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment