Sunday, August 01, 2010

Home Built Boat Weekend, July 24th-25th 2010

I figured I'd post some more of the photo's I took at my first real boat show.
 I'm a complete steam nut, having operated both locomotives and tractors pretty steadily for the last five years. Here is the CWB steam launch Puffin. We were able to go out in her for a short jaunt and it was marvelous. And although when it comes to steam I'm completely biased, but I think wind is the way  to go on the water.
 Getting over the fear of big water took a few hours. Here I am paddling about in the relative shelter of the docks. The Harley 8 does not paddle well being so short, but I think she'd make a fine rowboat. Another thing I recognized right off were the need to be able to make sail while in the boat, not just tied up at the pier if I were to get anywhere in this civilized boating thing.

Here is the future owner of my Wawona, Saaduuts in a boat he built himself. It was late in the show but it was great to see him paddling about. No stitch and glue or lapstrake here!

If I'm not mistaken this might be James McMullen and his Rowan, a Iain Oughtred Sooty Tern. He was busy giving rides all weekend, cool guy that James. Good name too.
Here serendipitously are the two boats I went out out on during the show. The first is Luna, the Caledonia Yawl I spoke of earlier and the second is a Thomas Nielesn's Tiki 26. Both were gracious hosts and I learned a lot in the two or so hours I spent out on the lake in a boat bigger then a single bed.
Another shot of Luna under sail. That is a great handling boat. What else can you say?
 And I can't forget Coot. I have always wanted to own a tugboat. And here is a Devlin designed possibility. She has all the comforts of home, cruises at seven knots and looks good.The owners were most gracious, feeding me lunch and offering encouragement.
To all at the show, thank you! I'll see you next year for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment