Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More and More Boatlike!

Not as much progress as I was hoping for today. I blame it on lack of good plywood. I have a loot of checking scrap lying around but for my leeboard and my rudder I'd just as soon use good plywood and only have to use it once. But on to today's progress!
First thing out of the gate was the leeboard support. I wasn't satisfied with what the plans called for, surprise surprise and I put the thought of a centerboard out of my head. I ended up following Andrew Linn's leeboard he used on his Harley 8a, a simple sideways table like set up. I cut them short, then had to cut them shorter. Then had gaps I'll use PL Premium to fill. But they seem to be sturdy and in the right place. That's what counts!
Looking over the plans and from what research I've done it appears I need about about 1 1/2sqft to get the proper leeboard to sail size ratio. I'm thinking I'll do the Michelak thing and do my boards out of laminated 1/4 ply for strength and straightness. With the support out of the way I grabbed an old skeg I had kicking around, cleaned it up with a jigsaw and attached it. Now lying upside down the S/V Sea Hawk looks like a boat lying upside down.
 That is my favorite part of building a boat, watching these pieces of plywood come together into a form someone can recognize as a boat! And this is going to be my trim little racing privateer. I've decided on having a regatta during the WMHBBA messabout in September so this is going to be my best and only chance of winning! Sailing ability is going to be key in this boat and the ones that follow it. I want a boat that sails well in a good wind. I'm not so worried about slight and gusty winds but in a good stiff breeze I want to have a vessel answering it's helm and commander and allow me to worry about getting there and not if I will get there at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment