Wednesday, September 01, 2010

My first handheld GPS!

Had someone who needed to pay of some debt to me so I traded them an ancient but working hand held GPS. It's a 1997 Garmin GPS III and I could not be happier with it!
I did indeed steal Andrew Linn's wardrobe.
It's simple, waterproof, old, and fun. I would love a GPS with all the bells and whistles but what am I going to use a GPS for really? To find a campsite and see how fast I'm going. The campsite can be imputed as a way point and the speed is really one of the most basic functions of the a GPS. It's a simple from hither to yon. I am at hither, and I need to go to yon. I'll be on the water so even only being able to access eight satellites should not be a problem. With a monochromatic screen and a very basic map this unit will not distract me with multiple sound settings, a flashy display, or any multitude of things that distract me when I use a new piece of technology.
We went to the Idaho Falls Zoo and I brought along my new toy to see how it works. I was able with some work to figure how far we were from the car and what direction it was. I set a series of way points and used the GOTO feature to return to them. The trip computer told me how the walk went and I got to pet a hedgehog. Okay that has nothing to do with the GPS but it was cool nonetheless.
This is a photo of a happy Lion King fan. Real lions in the background.
Monkeys
Giant tortoise!
Baby Serval
Lioness. She still has some of her spots.
 If you get a chance go to the zoo, it's worth a visit. And you don't need a GPS, they have pretty good maps of the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment