Sunday, September 19, 2010

Everything I Learned About Painting

Everything I know about painting comes from two sources, Dynamite Payson and James May. Payson's Instant Boats is a veritable treasure trove of knowledge if you're willing to read it a couple of times. I think the biggest thing it's done is change how I paint. I used to b a 'dabber'. I'd dip my brush in maybe a quarter of the way into the can, wipe off the brush on the side of the can and wonder why it took so long. Now I dip it in half way, don't wipe and use long broad strokes. I as Payson says "get the paint on the boat!" The result speak for themselves. I"m not a yacht builder. I'm a small boat sailor. My goal at the end of the day is to have a boat I can sail. And if the finish isn't quite as good I can live with that.
From James May I got the direction to never let my brush leave the surface as I paint. This has had obvious effects on the people and environment around me! So far I have painted two boats.
S/V Wawona
Here is my first build with a paint scheme take directly from here namesake, the three masted schooner Wawona. The line between the "anti-fouling" paint and the hull came out well. The decals were custom done vinyl and although I may do it again in the future I need to find a way to seal them once applied.
And here for your consideration is the One Sheet Skiff! Not quite as clean as Wawona but with a solid "work boat" finish. The interior is varnished with three coats of Ace exterior varnish. I've got some paint smears and other minor issues but overall I'm terribly pleased! The transom has hand lettered name and port of registry. It looks VERY hand lettered. but if you were on a beach and needed to get your traps pulled what would it matter? The only thing missing is the IP&NCo. lettering on the bow.
All in all my painting has improved over time and I'm excited for my next build. With only a few minor bits to add I'll be ready for the messabout on Saturday. Then the ***** *. will be stored for the winter in a garage. And it's on to the next boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment