Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Epoxy and other Sticky Thoughs

Yesterday was spent adding some epoxy and fiberglass to the S/V Sea Hawk. The front of the chines were armored and  the bottom and transom coated in the sweet smelling concoction. Had I just painted the vessel I think I would have been fine with the Payson "two coats of each will do" to ensure the wood is protected. As the date of our first event of the year approaches it's been satisfying to watch the boats of the IP&NCo. come together.
I've secured indoor storage for the vessel over the winter which takes a load off my mind. The current issue of Wooden Boats has a great little supplement on winter layup and storage. It also has a great article on the joys of the dingy. Magazines like Wooden Boat, Small Craft Adviser and Good Old Boat act like seed catalog for us boaters during the the darker months. I enjoy curling up in one of the leather couches in our local library and going all over in my imagination as I look over the beautiful wooden boats and the far away places they sail. Following along as repairs are made and seeing other wooden boats that have been launched.
And as I have since the name change here is an older post.
Someone recently made a comment to me that sailing between far flung points on Flathead lake alone might get lonely. And that is exactly the point. To be alone and commune with nature and reflect on the moment at hand. It's just that I happen to be on the water when I do it. On the other side I can find fellowship and community while doing the same thing.
If I told people I was planning on hiking the Bob Marshall or the Appalachian Trail the looks might not be as bad. But I tell them I'm sailing six miles between campground and they think I'm looney. But the concept is the same. It's just a different manner of accomplishing the same goal. When people talk about sailing, the same may be said for boating. The draw is the same and the result can be very beneficial. It can be a form of exercise and is for many rather accessible.
Add on top of that a boat you built with your own two hands and it becomes unique. Going from raw material to finished product and then using that product must be a wonderful experience. The steps to the goal of sailing a home built boat encompass design, carpentry, naval architecture, elbow grease, seamanship and navigation, and imagination. Many who never new they could do some of these skills will find that not only are they within their grasp but that they enjoy it.
These are things I hope to explore over the next few months. And if you're reading this, you might to.

No comments:

Post a Comment