Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Finishing Touches Before the End

(EDITORS NOTE: After much thinking on the matter, the S/V Sea Hawk will no longer be classes as a One Sheet Skiff. I think the design has drifted-er evolved enough to call it something else. Further reference will be made to the MacLeod Inspired Frenchtown Skiff)
Work continued to get Sea Hawk ready for the messabout. Went to a local outdoor supply store and found a set of cheap oars. Thanks to her low freeboard the Frenchtown Skiff they'll work quite well. They had some really snazzy bronze oarlocks for $24. They felt heavy enough to cost that much but they were far too big for my twenty dollar boat.. Someone building a one sheet skiff used rope oarlocks and I figured they would work for my needs. Two dollars of rope later I had my oarlocks.
You can see in the background how the oars store neatly in the boat. I'd like to say I planned it that way but it was a happy circumstance. We also got the rudder repaired we hope for the final time. Dowels were inserted in the transom for better main halyard handling and I installed the downhaul below the mast partner. Our plan is to head out on Thursday to see how it all works together. This boat is coming together well.
I'm currently reading The Way of the Ship. Good square rigger reading that will make your hair stand on end! I'll post a review when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment