Sunday, September 05, 2010

She'll Make a Fine Rowboat!

We had gorgeous wind today. From the west at around 7-10mph. So naturally I went sailing! I fixed the rudder last night in preparation. It was chilly on the pond today I'd say WMO sea state 2. Now this may not SEEM like much but it was a lot for this new sailor and this new boat.
 I was a little concerned but bravely struck out from the shore. And snapped the tiller. Land ho!
Turns out I could steer with my hand on the top of the rudder so that is what I did. And dang it, I WENT SAILING! First was a very quick reach across the pond. Sailing with a boomless rig is different and will take some getting used to. I would like to keep my weight balanced but hanging on to the end of the sail puts me farther back then I'd like. Trying to get close hauled I'm having to hike out while IN the boat. Sounds odd I know and let me tell you it feels it. But let me tell you this boat SAILS. Maybe not as well as I'd like or hope but she will move upwind and reach and run like a banshee. And she'll pound your teeth out in a chop. I have a few more rudder issues to work out but I can say this boat gybes very well. As the wind comes around the wide beam of the boat helps to keep her on an even keel. But it was a learning experience and here is what I've learned so far
  • MAKE OARS!!! She paddles well but as a rowboat she'll really shine. 
  • Accept the fact that as a sailboat she may always just be a fair to middling performer.
  • Figure out a better way to get the sail close hauled so I'm not stretched out towards the stern
  • Leeboard position is huge on this boat. You can feel it when you put the board down and she straightens up. 
I have no idea how well it all went didn't get the GPS set up as sailing is still a fairly full time job for me, still learning don'tcha know ;) but she sailed as well as I could have expected. Save for the freeboard it's a fine little boat. I'm pleased with this build but I'm hungering for more. But here is a video of the S/V Sea Hawk heading upwind.
 I think to make a proper lady of her I need to get some oars on her. In the end I was wet and tired. But it was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment