Sunday, January 26, 2020

Little Jobs

Sanded parts waiting for varnish
 We are at the strange time in winter. The weather is just warm enough to do outside work but not warm enough you want to stay in it for any extended time. So it's time for little jobs. I've removed what I could, hatches, door trim, a paddle and took it to my fathers for sanding and varnish. We've taken a timber I was saving and it's being turned into a rough boom. Today I've cleaned the port locker and will do the starboard later. Mold is a problem but we're ensuring that it's taken care of. The dry environment of Arizona was not ideal for the little spores but in the slightly damper environs of Montana the lockers have the slightest film. The plan is to seal them but they need to be clean before that step is taken.
 The boom has been removed and stripped as has the gooseneck. The original gooseneck is in a bad way and is in now way ready for the heavier boom I have coming. The search for a new one begins.

Bent in places it shouldn't be
 The hope is by getting these little jobs done now they won't have to be done later. I've also taken a rasp to the leeboard guard, hoping for a more vertical orientation. This was a failing noted by the former owner and resulted in slight lee help. Hopefully this will correct this but only sailing will let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment