Saturday, January 04, 2020

Salt Water 2019 Part 1: Getting There and a Boat Show

Pocket Yacht Palooza 2019
 One of the big goals for 2019 was attending the Pocket Yacht Palooza held at the Northwest Maritime Center in Port Townsend, WA. Our sailing friend Jim Young, who's wonderful Michalak Mikesboat Desdemona has graced these fair electronic pages, has attended in the past and spoke highly of it. There was a whole list of firsts that came with this idea. While not the unknown it would be the longest time away from home the boat in my care has ever been. And to say I was a touch nervous would be fair assessment. As it turned out I needn't have worried.
 The plan was simplicity in itself. With my friend Dan as Mate and crew we would trailer the Kat Boat from our home base here in Missoula to Port Townsend Washington the day before the event. The boat would serve as an RV for the whole of the time we were gone. Following the event we'd move to Sequim Bay State Park for a few days of sailing and then head home. In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard can it be?"
 We departed early on Friday morning. Due to the fact I've never driven to Port Townsend via Tacoma before I was unsure of how long it would take. Google told me it would take nine hours. It would end up taking slightly longer then that. For this journey I was driving Shep, The Lady's suburban. The V8 and sleeping room would mean far easier travel then my own Subaru wagon. Here in the northwest invasive species boat check stations are a way of life. And during the summer you can expect one at or near every state border crossing. Washington by far had my favorite. Kat Boat was inspected by Officer Puddles, an IS Detection dog who even has her own Instagram feed. I was a huge fan. Safely cleared we continued west.
Best boat check ever!!!
 Before hitting Tacoma we had to traverse the Tiger Mountain Pass if we wanted to avoid Seattle. I'd never driven it before and it was quite a bit of traffic, most of it commercial. The turn at Snoqualime was backed up for a mile in what I can only think is standard conditions in the high summer. The drive though Tacoma was uneventful and we eventually made it to Port Townsend after traversing some of the most beautiful scenery of the trip. That part of the Olympic Peninsula was stunning.
 It was almost dark when we arrived, dropped the boat at the Northwest Maritime Center and found parking for the truck. The plan was I was going to sleep in the boat for the next two nights and Dan would sleep in the truck. That would continue for the rest of the trip. Dan is to tall to sleep in the boat. I fell asleep to moderate temperatures, clear sky, and a moon that defied description. With the gentle lapping of waves I soon fell asleep.
Not doing the view justice
 After taking care of the morning necessities I popped my head out of my hatch on Saturday the 20th of July to the most amazing view I've yet seen out of my boat. I'm an early riser by habit and the time change had not helped that. As I gazed from my vessel aground I could see right out into Port Townsend Bay. A low fog bank about a mile distant was in contrast to the otherwise sunny weather. A small traditionally rigged boat was silently making it's way towards the sound. I slipped on my shoes and headed to the NE waterfront. No one else was up and it was like being transported to the early part of the 20th century in New England. The moaning of a ships fog horn unseen in the grey bank intruded every minute or so. The classic measured tone of a bell buoy and the screech of seagulls added to the ambience. And with the smell of salt air I was at the moment were so many of my own day dreams had taken me. I'm not ashamed to admit it was a profoundly moving moment.
Morning in Port Townsend
What a morning!
This photo does not do the blueberry french toast and hand beaten scrambled eggs justice.
 But I was in town for a boat show so I took my time returning to the truck to wake the crew. After a rather expensive but artisanal breakfast at The Port Hudson Cafe, we got the boat set up for the show. Now the PYP is a celebration of small cruising craft. And I was surrounded by some very amazing boats. As they filtered in throughout the morning it was a joy to behold each one. The majority of the boats were on the hard but a few were on the waterfront. Most notably almost half a dozen SCAMPs of which were slated to cruise later that weekend. As usual Kat Boat won many hearts with her salty looks. I really enjoyed talking about how she was more then just looks but a capable inland cruiser with a design as driven by practicality as aesthetics.
Among friends
One of many SCAMPS that were on the beach
Point Hudson Marina
 Dan and I took the opportunity as well to explore the area. I got to try the multi-million dollar vessel simulator at the center and Dan took a walking tour of the downtown area. Port Townsend! What a place. They have one of the finest bookstores I've seen with five shelves of nautical books of all types. The Center itself is the hub of sailing in the area and with events like the Wooden Boat Show and RY2k being based there. It is a resort town so prices reflect this but a worthwhile place to spend some time. As the sign says it truly is a Victorian Seaport and Arts Community. I'd like to thank the organizers and in particular Marty Loken for the opportunity to attend the event. I'd like very much to do it again sometime.
Crew and I at our happy place

No comments:

Post a Comment