Monday, July 18, 2011

1st Anually Finley Point Messabout

The First Annual Finely Point Messabout, held at Finely Point State Park on the shores of the mighty Flathead Lake has come and gone. It was a great weekend of comradeship and sailing, pretty much what you would expect from something called a messabout.
I was the first to arrive, leading advance camp for the rest of the mob. Okay it was just The Typesetter and his son but I'd ensure camp was set up. But there were a few snags. First of all tent camping is not really encouraged at Finely Point. They have six or so tent pads and they don't want you camping on the grass. So after a bit a bureaucratic snafu I managed to secure a spot. This is where the fun begins! I have a huge three room tent as I like to camp in style. But it turns out the pads are designed for those who wish to live in squalor and cramped space  so only two thirds of my tent would fit. But camp was made up and waiting when the rest of the crew arrived.
The hour was late so not much sailing was done. There was however a fair bit of rowing. Ready for a full Saturday we bedded down and much sleep was had. I wish the same went for the drunken college kids just down the site.
The next morning dawned quickly and brightly. The Typesetter put out a wonderful breakfast and we hit the docks. I in my 8' One Sheet Skiff Trudey C and he in the mighty Teal, the Pica.The weather was fine as we set out for a brief sail. The Pica developed some rudder issues but a quick return to the dock fixed those. I also got to work on my man overboard drill retrieving an errant oar.
Dock at Finely Point
For the record I'm told the water was cold.
We returned to the hard for a few minutes to collect our wits and decided a sail out to Little Bull island was in order. This had been the goal of the first expedition to Flathead and it did not end well.
We literally flew out of Finely point on a reach. It was some of the best sailing I've had yet. Even with two people the Teal was a well behaved lady and it seemed in no time at all we had neared our destination. It was here we noticed the chop. Two feet swells and a moderate wind. I was alarmed at first but the boat rode up and over well enough and save for the occasional bit of spray we took no water.
Captain at the helm
Is this protected water?
 Know what it's like to pound through waves in a flat bottom boat? Get a box about a foot square and jump off it. Run around and do it again. And again. Make sure you have your teeth just a bit apart so they clash when you land. Doing it in poor shoes would help to.
Even with all of this there was never a sense that the boat would founder. The lug sail pulled well and with a few minor under way tweaks did a fine job. Sure there was the point were it was out to the big lake or run up an dashed on some rocks with no apparent way to sail out. Or the garage that would not move. But it was an adventure and I'm glad I took it!
Our goal, Little Bull. Camera angle is not exaggerated
Great day on the water
Then it was on to a surprise for me! I had been admiring a little O'Day 22 moored at the dock and ended up with a ride! Not enough wind for sailing but we did do some motoring. Find time had by all
Future boat someday perhaps?

Wonderful evening out.
The evening was adjourned to a small fire and sleep. The next morning we loaded up and left. All and all a fine weekend indeed. We'll be holding this event next year with the theme of "Teal Daze". So build a Teal and come on out. You'll enjoy it. I know I did.
Messabout Boats

No comments:

Post a Comment