Saturday, June 15, 2024

One Piece at a Time II


The video is from March, 2021

Just a quick note that work continues at a fair pace. I have a second hand marine VHF radio I'm working to install and I'm about seventy percent done with that project. That will allow me to monitor both the race and and 16 when I need to. And I've always wanted one in the boat. Just take a bit more wiring and drilling a hole for the antenna. My handheld works all the time and will keep a charge all week so the draw from the base should be minimal .  

 The mast continues to vex me. I cut some blocks for the base to keep it from dropping all the way down but that didn't work. I have picked up a pretty good way to get it unstuck though. But it still needs a bit of shaping to really be safe. I was thinking of putting the pin back in and giving up but I really like how she sails with a more vertical mast. The Typesetter was over today and we stared at the plans. As designed she's got a touch of rake but the bottom of the mast requires a step to do so. I'm thinking the original builder just took the bottom four inches off when we put it on a pin. It'll take a bit of fiddling but we'll get it done. 

 When I got the boat the lazy jacks did double duty as a sort of topping lift but the light and stretchy line used wasn't up to the task. I've added a dedicated topping lift and no longer need to adjust the jacks from the deck. I see how many have them permanently fixed at the mast and I've decided that's what I want to do. I got inspiration on how I want to from the Ayers Pond Catboat Essential video series. It's just small boat jacks so no need to go crazy. This also feeds my mantra of simplicity for the vessel. I'll have one less line heading forward and up that I need to worry about. I've already made the luff line set it and forget it on the mast, eliminating it's adjustability aft and it's corresponding line.  When it's all done I should have from port to starboard, topping lift, second reef luff, first reef luff, throat halyard, peak halyard. We'll see if the reef lines stay. I'm thinking of going back to an all boom set up. 

 Got the house battery  in and the electrics all work. As of this moment I'm fully prepared for my USCGA safety inspection I have scheduled for later this week. Save for 2022 I've managed it almost every year with this boat. It's a simple and easy way pre-season to ensure that your boat is ready to go. I highly suggest you schedule one today, it's free.

 Lots of little projects getting done. And a lot of little projects left to go. I'm on my own this week, The Lady is on a work trip so it's just me and the boat. I'm fine with that at this point as I have so much to do. But it's all fifteen minute jobs that will be done in good time I'm sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment