Sunday, June 16, 2024

On Target, On Time

How My Mast Was Built

 It was a good day! The biggest bugaboo that has plagued me, the mast, was sorted with some help from a friend. So as you saw earlier up the blog the mast was stuck. Very, very stuck. Lifting my boat off the trailer and jumping up and down stuck. Today the The Typesetter came over with a bag of tools and we sorted it out. Well he did, I took pictures and worked on other boat projects. Turns out the fiberglass wrap that had been put over the mast had bubbled and that was the  reason for the sticking. So out came a rasp and he set to work. After a bit we tried the mast. Still took a strap to get it out. So there was more rasping and we tried again. Still stuck. I told TT to go after it with the plane. I wanted to see wood chips. Lots of them. I'd rather too much then too little. Wood chips were asked for and wood chips came!

The Typesetter at Work
 And it was done. It goes in easy and comes out without a strap. So it's just all the other projects I have to do, the biggest being getting the boat rigged. BUT I know what I'm doing at this point so I'm not as worried about it. The simplification of the lines will help a lot. Moving from the pivot to the drop in will take some figuring but I'm sure it's no big deal.  I'll do my best to get photos as we rig so I can sort of explain my process. 
 The other attempted project was installing a used base mount VHF. I've wanted one for a while and took a shot at a used one. It received great but failed to transmit. This is after TWO extra holes in the roof of my boat trying to get the antenna mounted. But I'm a 2nd Class Boat Builder so it took thickened epoxy and we'll paint over it. Oh and sanding. But that's for later. At this point the wiring is in place I just need to buy a new radio. So that'll be post launch. 
 The boat is not looking her best. But she will be come Wild Horse Regatta weekend. That will be her 2nd debut and her Sweet Sixteen. Really looking forward to the aesthetic touches I have planned for her. The Princess of Flathead Lake will look even more wonderful. 
 But it's rain the next two days so a small break to catch up on some other work. We're far closer then we were and I'm feeling good.
Bow Flag Holder Mounted, CBA Burgee


No comments:

Post a Comment