Wednesday, August 29, 2018

It's Coming Togeher Nicely

Julia L. in Sin City awaiting her move north
 It's been a busy week here in the Big Sky Country on my personal sailing front. Last Saturday I took my squire, Tethian, out sailing for an adventure. We launched out of Big Arm and by all accounts it was grand. Winds were higher then predicted and stayed that way. If I had a slightly larger boat it would have been a long and comfortable sailing day. I have small boat and while never frighting it was most decidedly uncomfortable at the helm. With our weight Esmeralda never heeled but her helm was telling me the wind was higher then she would have liked. The waves in that area due to the nature of the bottom and the topography create short, breaking wave sets that do a great job of unsettling a short drop keeled boat. I did not run out of my quotient of fun but it was tested. Tethian's father sails a full keeled race boat to some acclaim on the lake and he is used to that stability, power and sure footedness. I'm not ashamed to say my Lido is lacking a little in each department in comparison. But a good time was had by all. We finished the day riding  jet skis at his family's lake house and me loosing my glasses in ensuing fun. But it was worth it.
 Sunday was  day of rest and I took the opportunity to list my beloved Lido 14 for sale. I drove home after an errand to a gentleman looking her over. He had the feel of a collector and not someone who would take the heavy use of such a boat seriously. We parted ways and I'm not unglad he didn't seriously pursue ownership. But I did end up selling my boat that day. To a young couple enamored with sailing and wanting to know all about it. I can't buy enthusiasm and desire. And that is was my boat was built for. So I'm meeting my buyer up at Dayton this Sunday were we will annoy the big boats in the buoy race and I'll do what I can to teach him a bit about this pastime I love so much. And when all is said and done I will kiss my boat good bye and she'll be off to new adventures without me. And I could not be happier for her. The Typesetter might pop by with the Piccup and I'm sure a boat race will ensue.
 What about the catboat? Well fear not. In a mutual bemoaning that six weeks was a long time with the boats current owner we decided to half that time. Instead of mid October it will be the second week of September and a rigging demo in a parking lot in Beaver, Utah. The lady and I will overnight at a hotel then daysail the Clark Canyon Reservoir before bringing the boat home. I shall not be boat-less but without a "large" small boat for only a week after the loss of my Lido. Then the real work can begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment