Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Busy Summer

View over the bow of MV Miss Kathleen
 It's been a busy few weeks here. After your May Messabout it was time to regroup and prepare for our July event. While contemplating how I was going to replace the sails on the Lido I got a message from Jim Young letting me know a boating meetup was happening on Flathead. So I braved northbound Montana Highway 93 and joined the merry band for some boating Who-Haw and general Flim-Flammery. In attendance the day of my showing were Dan Rogers of Duckworks Magazine fame and a West Wright Potter 19 owner out of Spokane. The boats on show for this mini-messabout were the frankenboat MV Miss Kathleen and Jim's own SV Desdemona. We ended up sailing/motoring from Sommers, were Jim is based to Lakeside were we had a delightful lunch at Glacier Perks Coffee House. I boarded Miss Kathleen for the way home. And a good thing as the Desdemona was nowhere in sight when I decided to call it a day
Desdemona with a bone in her teeth. 
Miss Kathleen.

Restaurant parking. They were closed so I'm guessing they didn't care.

Figuring out how best to leave the parking.

A fine sight!

Slow boat to Sommers.

Who cares about speed when you've got a sailboat?

Gingerbread house. An expensive way to eat!
 I decided to make my way around the eastern shore of the lake to see if the Q Class yachts based out of Big Fork were in the water yet. After waiting an hour and half in construction I learned they were not. But I did get some great pictures of the boats on the hard and sent my happy ballast a letter.




 On the home front the rudder of the Piccup has delaminated and is not longer fit for service. After looking at several options The Typesetter offered me his old rudder from his Bolger Teal Pica. I had to cut it down a bit and I'm not sure if the Norwegian tiller set up will stay but it appears to work and I think it fits the boat just fine.
The famous "Barn Door" of SV Pica.

New cut down rudder for Lazy Shamrock
 The final bit for the Shamrock will be some rigging fixes and modifications that will be undertaken later this week. Sails for the Lido should be arriving on Thursday so those will be inspected and prepared. Our next Messabout is July 1st at Big Arm State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment