Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Demasted

S/V Blue Flower Gooseneck (Stolen from Sleeping Schnauzer)
 After an hours work the Blue Flowers rig has been taken off and stripped. I'm left with an upside down boat and a bag full of hardware. The masts, spars, bowsprit, tiller and trim are at The Typesetters for varnish. From what I can tell the wood has never been finished. I can't wait to see to see what she looks like when it's all done but I feel kinda empty with a partial boat out in the yard.
 I must admit I felt a little weird as I took apart the rig. This is what gives my boat her identity as a sailboat and is her only mode of propulsion. I did get to see a lot of the detail that went to the rig though. Most of the attachments are hand made and the nylon lock nut is the preferred fastener of choice. The spars and mast are surprisingly  light weight and easily transported. I'm unsure of the wood used but it's rather dense.
 Underneath the bow trim piece I found the other mast step, about a foot forward of the one I use now. Would give a jaunty catboat look and maybe open up the possibility for a mizzen but that's for another day.  I'm thinking that sandpaper may take off enough of the top coat to get rid of the white speckles that coat the starboard side of the boat. When this refit is done she'll take on more of the identity I'd like for my boat. She'll still turn heads no matter where she goes and that is important. What sailor doesn't want a good looking boat?
 So I'm out of the sailing game for a few days but I could use a break. I figured it's 24 miles to my pond one way. Last week I drove almost 200 miles going sailing. That's a lot of gas! I'm thinking of cutting it back to twice a week for the pond or once a week to bigger waters. Will it happen like that? I don't know but it's a good plan. I'm hoping to get The Typesetter and S/V Pica out on the water with me a few times. Always more fun to sail with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment