Friday, June 29, 2012

Sailing, sailing!

 Storms are forecast this weekend which puts a damper on my sailing activities, but it's been a busy week. Wednesday I met up with The Typesetter for some Teal sailing. After getting the boat in the water I noticed some major differences in the wind. It should be noted the wind blows W-E usually on the pond so you can beat to the western bowl and then run to the eastern one. After some experimentation I found the wind to be hard out of the NNW. This meant almost no ground gained on the port tack and very little on the starboard. I wouldn't call it frustrating but it did change the way I went up the pond. In sailing I've learned sometimes you take what you can get and patience is a virtue when you're not really trying to get anywhere. And also that it's fun to sail literal rings around your sailing partner because you can.
 Thursday I took my friend Spark out sailing. Of course with a passenger the wind did not cooperate, but even in light winds S/V Blue Flower sails. If you can call drifting against the wind sailing. I discovered the first day I got the boat out that she'll sail in nothing. Give me good wishes and some unicorn burps and we'll make way upwind. It's a bit disconcerting, especially if you're not trying to go anywhere at the time. I think it comes down to the fact the boat is amazingly well balanced and set up right. Or that Andy just got lucky.
 People are continually impressed with the boat. This only increases my desire to finish the few projects I have and really make her stand out. The plan is now that I've sailed to get the paint and varnish on by the end of July. With the boat here at the residence I have a feeling that will go much faster now. But I am looking forward to a very full and rewarding 2012 sailing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment