Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A Plan Forms

I would like to state publicly my goal if sailing the Texas 200 within 5 years in a box boat.A friend I've not seen in years breezed into town and we talked a bit about doing things down the line. He's most impressed I built a boat and has mentioned in passing that sailing is something he'd like to do. And that's all it took to get me thinking. That this whole build a boat sail the world thing I've started has done just that, started. And to keep up momentum on this grand adventure more challenges will need to be found. So the grandaddy of small boat adventuring is a very alluring goal. Five days in the middle of nowhere fighting bad weather and yourself to simply say you've done it. It will take training and study. Preparation above all else. A boat will have to be built and tested and a whole host of other odds and ends. But I'd like to think I can and think I will.
On other fronts I'm waiting for a payment to come in so I can purchase my Ocean Explorer Plans. I spoke to the designer on Facebook and cleared up a few issues on the build. It's in metric but I can buy a metric ruler easy enough. I've figured that total of $550 should get me the boat and trailer seaworthy. Not done, but ready for the water. There is a contingency plan to get the build started if the winter continues in it's current fashion come spring. I understand it's all La Nina or El Nino related and it's been a stiff winter.
Myself and the other members of the Western Montana Home Built Boat Association are pleased to announce our Spring Messabout to be held at at Finley Point State Park on the shores of the mighty Flathead Lake. The date will be June 24th to 26th. You can find out more on our Facebook Page, a link to which is on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment