Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Sailing Daydeams


  There is perfect sailing weather at Big Arm at the moment. Almost seventy degrees, light to low moderate winds all day long. Perfect. Save for the 36.6 degree water temperature. I may be daft when it comes to sailing but I'm not that daft. So I sit and daydream about sailing and do what I can to keep life on the hard interesting.
Mariner 2.5 two stroke of unknown vintage. Weighs about as much as a vacuum cleaner.
The outboard motor that came with the Lido has been sent along with a good friend of mine, some kind of mechanical wizard to be looked at. Seems I need to find a propeller for it. I originally wanted an electric outboard for the boat, and own one just for this purpose, but after some soul searching an and learning the motor came with the boat,  the stinkpot won out. I don't have unlimited time to sail. During the scheduled sailing time my schedule is my own. But I need to be back work at a time not set by me. And on a giant lake in a sail only boat I need to do what I can to ensure I make it to the dock before that time. Although the Sail and Oar purist may knash their teeth, the fact is I don't own a sail and oar boat. So we all make sacrifices. On the bright side the motor is older, contains none of the modern Mariner 2.5's safety and comfort features and should annoy a certain class of people. I'm okay with this.
  Just down the street from The Woman's house is a motley collection of various watercraft spread out haphazardly about a side facing yard. There is what I'm guessing an 18 foot long production sloop on a trailer with flat tires. The cabin has been left open to the elements so who knows what the true shape of the boat is. Besides I don't think my truck could tow it over Evaro Hill. There are a few drift boats piled on a trailer but what really caught my eye was a little blue hull of a sailboat.
She's a Koralle Jr. 12 LOA sloop.
  The boat reeks of potential so I snapped some photo's of it. This caught the attention of the owner who after going out of his way to ignore me as he smoked a cigarette on his stoop asked me what I'd pay for the boat. I countered with what he wanted for it. We looked the boat over and there are a few problems. The bottom of the hull needs some fiberglass attention. I asked him again what he wanted for it.  He came back with $2,000 dollars. This is about three times what I'm getting the Lido for. I countered with $250 and asked if it came with anything. I remember using terms like sail and mast, spars and  rudder. "It comes with some things" the owner drawled between drags. He sounded out my offer, tasting it and came back with $400. And that broke the bank. I'm sure I could swing it but that's taking money from the boat I really want and Kenny Rogers was right. But I did say if the boat was still sitting there at the end of the season we might talk. And we might. But don't as a non sailor try and dicker over a price I see as outrageous. Even if it is a relatively rare boat imported from Germany. I'm not paying you for what the boat could be, I'm paying for what the boat is. Especially if I don't know you.
Gotta know when to walk away
  I picked up a copy of the Orange Coast College Lido Manual entitled Sails in the Sun (or: Masts in the Mud) off of Amazon. Wow what a great resource! From how the centerboard downhaul is rigged to how to get on and off the boat this book covers quite a bit. So after reading it I decided to head over to the the Typesetters and get the center board rigged "right".
  #1280 is from the fourth year of Lido Production so she has a few of the early fittings that make her unique. I thought I would share a few of those with you here.
Movable Jib Cars. Most are replaced with a fixed cleat and fairlead system. I like that I could have more headsail options. 

Here is the rerigged centerboard up haul with the line on the starboard side. The original single block set up for the boom vang will go on the port side.

Here is the set up for the outhaul. Now replaced on most boats with a jamcleat on the mast.

Traveler car for the mainsheet. The cars with stops to allow for setting the position of the sheet are missing.  Replaced in later Lidos with a rope bridle system.


That sticker will have to be replaced with an up to date one  I think.
   My goal is to sail #1280 in an as original configuration as possible. I want to know how the boat handles as designed because I'm guessing that is harder and harder to do with the 6,100+ boats in the Lido fleet. The only thing I'm planning on changing is the gooseneck setup from the original configuration. In that the sail is hooked over a horn on the gooseneck which in turn attaches to the downhaul. In a more modern set up the luff tension is controlled without placing stress on the gooseneck by bringing the downhaul through the grommet in the tack.
  The Typesetter and I also ordered the new line for the main and jib halyards, outhaul, boom vang and mainsheet. The mainsheet will be of nylon, the others of polyester. Although the lines that came with the boat seem to have some life left we feel it is prudent to spend the money and start the season with new line.
  And splash date was finalized. The 1,280th Lido 14 built will hit the still cold waters of Flathead Lake on May 3rd, 2014 at Big Arm State Park. I think I shall bring a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment