Sunday, April 06, 2014

Here Be Dragons

  Hold Fast is a documentary by Moxie Marlinspike detailing the refit of a Pearson 30 and it's eventual sail to the Bahamas. While some might not agree with the methods in the movie, none can argue it's message. I'm not quite sure how I came across it but I remember thinking that finding a boat and sailing it on fantastic adventures was something I wanted to do in my life. Of course it's a bit harder when you've tied yourself to the pier of routine and live in a state with no ocean coastline. But why let that stop you?
  I've never had small plans. I guess part of me has never seen the point of small plans. And now on the verge of ownership of a 14' foot dingy I have some big plans. And as it turns out I have an inland sea to do it in. Flathead lake is the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. It's 196 sq mi. of water that can kill you carved out by the Glacial Lake Missoula. To call it a sea is no exaggeration either when you figure the Sea of Galilee is currently only 167 sq mi. The lake even claims it own monster. But here in the Big Sky Country it is the mecca of all things water sports during the warmer months.
  Most of the activity is centered to the south around the resort town of Polson. I've sailed there, when we first took #1280 out, it was out of the Polson city dock. That was not the best experience I've yet had. Power boaters it seems have little patience for those new at the sport and even less patience for those not using internal combustion to enjoy the water. We did manage to dock under sail twice and one of those times was in full view of the sight seeing boat. But I digress. Due to the nature of Polson Bay and it's depth even light winds will bring up a decent chop. Well decent if you're in a 14' dingy with 3 people aboard. But in a pinch I would do it again and most likely will. Only way to get better is to do it right?
  Currently we sail mainly out of Big Arm. The dock is well situated, we can tie up on the end and fuss with things and people nod understandingly and the semi-sheltered bay is great for day sailing. The west shore of the lake is famed for it's thermals producing pretty reliable wind for most of the day and it's a popular spot for racing. Just north of Big Arm, past the invisible town of Elmo, is Dayton, home of the South Flathead Yacht Club a good destination for a day sail.
  Across the lake and slightly south is Finley Point, home of the first WMHBBA messabout. We've sailed a Teal out of Finley but the winds can be really good or non existent. Water out in the depths get's a bit rocky too. The dock set up however is excellent and the camp ground is decent.
  I bring these up because I want to sail to all of them. I read The Log of the Spartina and decided long ago that that was the kind of sailing I want to do. Now I don't have a Welsford Pathfinder and even if I could have a boat that size I would want a Oughtred Caldonia Yawl but what I do have is a more capable boat then what I've been used to. And I think it's good enough for what I'm planing this summer.
  There are people who take human powered craft all over the Flathead Lake. As a matter of fact there is a published marine trail for them to follow to get from civilized point to civilized point. Why couldn't one, with the proper planning and preparation, do it in a small sailboat? There are many other types of small sailboat adventures out there. The Texas 200, Everglades Challenge and RAID's all over Europe. The idea being to take boats a bit out their element and sail a course untraveled. I have thought of joining the Texas 200 but after consultation with The Typesetter five days in the desert heat of Texas in a constant downwind run does not sound like our idea of fun. But 50 or so miles circumnavigating Flathead does. Of course to some this is crazy talk but so was the Texas 200 and this will be it's seventh year.
  At this point circumnavigation over a week is pretty much out. But weekend or over night journeys are in the planning.  But even now there are areas of the map marked Here Be Dragons. I've yet to sail out of the shadow of Wild Horse Island. What are the winds like as you head north? Can I keep up a decent rate of advance trying to stay a pistol shot from shore? What would an east west crossing be like? Baby steps. Undertaking a plan of this magnitude will take a willingness to bite off small chunks at a time and to learn all I can during and between those chunks. It's going to take a lot of sailing. And that's the whole point.
  Outfitting #1280 for these voyages will have to commence as well. The rig needs to be better put together for fine tuning and proper trimming. I need to come up with a boom crutch and tent for over nights. I'm thinking that cushions for the bench seats may not be a bad idea either. I'll never race my Lido against other Lidos so modifying the boat for comfort and livability can trump class racing for the time being. Although adding the forward brace and hiking straps may not be a bad idea even in a boat I'm planning on sailing on an even keel more often then not.
  Of course these ideas sound great in the middle of a graveyard shift or over coffee with a semi
-like minded individual at Break Espresso but as the saying goes "Everybody has a plan until the first one ton shell hits your admirals bridge". And that shell will hit no doubt but I'd like to think at least I'm in the fight. Because it gives me something to reach for and a bit of a challenge. The lack of small sailboats in my neck of the woods is a bit disheartening. I know we have a few Lasers and I think the North Flathead Yacht Club has a juniors racing series but no one that I've seen is out gunkholing in small sail boats. And that's a shame. Because for all it's terrors Flathead holds some wonders too. And I think it's high time they were explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment