Monday, April 21, 2014

Plans


A good clean boat.
   Needed to fix a bunk on the trailer so went over the The Typesetters today. After plowing our way through some pizza's we got the boat off the trailer, repaired the bunk, and go the boat back on the trailer. I then hauled up the main to see if the topping lift worked. And it does. As we chatted about this and that I sat up in the cockpit, yard sailing and dreaming. There is something amazingly comforting about sitting in the boat, even on the hard an feeling the wind and watching what the sail does. I fiddled with the boom vang and the outhaul to play with the sail shape. I watched a great video on sail trim and saw how the draft was effected. The fact I can't center my traveler still bugs me.
  So in our discussion The Typesetter and I discussed a long held idea of starting a boat building/sailing program for teens. It went back and forth but the end result was I am building a puddle duck this year. The Woman has expressed interest and the Lido needs a tender so it'll work well for the season. In addition we can itemize what a PDR would take in time and money in preparation of pitching the project. It is possible that nothing will really become of this but in the end the Lido will have a fine tender and I get to build a boat this summer.
  This next weekend is dedicated to another hobby of mine, running steam traction engines. The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula has a sawmill powered by a 1916 Case steam tractor and I'm licensed to operate it. The Typesetter is too. But before we go out to begin work on the engine I'll make the final payment and monetarily the 1,280th Lido will be mine.

1 comment:

  1. Arg the Mateys! Inland seas set with a labarinth of steam sails and Linotype machines, it will be a great pleasure to sail with such great mates on steam and old iron on forestry day!!!

    ReplyDelete