Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Readying for Launch 2017

Just about as ready as we're going to get.
  Everyone knows that two days before you're going to do a shakedown cruise is the BEST time to do some major refits to your rigging, right? With the date looming where I may take someone else aboard my vessel I need to get things right now. So today was spent taking off and re-positioning hardware to better ensure success in that upcoming endeavor. I've never really been happy with my odd combination downhaul/boom vang set up. It's kind of like front wheel drive, both doing the steering and the breaking. Or in this case setting bottom sail tension and keeping the boom in check. After scouring the web and watching videos and looking at pictures of different set ups I decided trying to get a straight up downhaul in front of the mast was the best way to go.
Knew I'd find a way to re-purpose those blocks.
 In addition to the downhaul work the Typesetter noted I had no set-up to keep the boom and yard to the mast. So I went down to the local craft store and picked up some multi-colored beads with holes in them. Knowing were to find parrel beads locally is great. $.30 each sure beats $.75 plush shipping! I used some light line to attach them and now even when yard sailing the sail seems to be in much better trim.
Mast needs a coat of paint.

At the top of the mast, multi-colors!
  I also renewed the bungees that keep the hatch covers on. They had disintegrated after their six months of storage.
Should be good for another season.
  I have but a few more things to take care of before my hopeful splash on Thursday. Going to try and get some paint on the boat where I can. Provision it for a short sale. Double check everything I can. It's very much it's like prepping a eleven foot long space shuttle. This craft my father and I built will be the only thing that will help keep me safe as enter once more onto the deep blue. We know the theory, I know it floats, but it's still a whole lot of unknowns and yet-to-be-discovers. It doesn't come with the same feeling of reassurance that the Lido gives me. I just don't know it well and we've had a rocky relationship so far. But I have faith. Faith in the boat and it's designer, and that I know well enough to keep me out of trouble.
 The weather is the same on Thursday no matter were I look. Winds just below 10mph, 56 degrees and rain at 3pm. That's the forecast to the north of me (Flathead) and to the northeast (Salmon). Not sure yet where I plan on putting in. On one hand Polson would be quiet this early in the year although the ramp would be very long. Big Arm is a known quantity but perhaps a bit big for me in this boat at this time without other watercraft support. Salmon is nice but the winds can be quite shift at times due to the canyon location and the islands. I guess I'll wake up and see what I feel like.
 I guess there is nothing to do but finish the final checks and wait the 48 hours until launch. Fortune favors the prepared so that's all I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment