Friday, April 17, 2015

A Boat Won't Fix Itself

Wonderful Day in Western Montana
 It was a wonderful afternoon here in Western Montana, highs above sixty and clear skies with sun. Just the type of of day you need to work on a boat. Winter was kind to Esmerelda and getting her yard sailing was not difficult. I am still a bit apprehensive about doing my myself but it gets better every time. The fact the mast is stepped forward aids in ensuring that nothing untoward will happen as I'm transitioning from the boat to the ground to finish attaching the forestay. With the boat fully opened up it was time to get to work.
 The first thing I wanted to do was to add the bits I ordered from DoubleWave about six months ago. Nothing major, the two mainsheet traveler slider stops and the trim for starboard side transom. We talk about our boats being unique. Well mine is certainly no exception! It seems that the starboard site transom has been planned towards the flatter side. Where the port is a graceful arc downward, the other is more of a line. What this means is the trim piece is not fit near as well as it should. After a trip to Ace Hardware to get new brass fasteners the rear end of my boat looks far better.
Looks much better then a piece of rope.
 The list to get done before we splash is a bit longer then I thought it was. But that's the nature of boats. It seems it grew during the lay up over the winter. So here off the top of my head is my to do list.
  • New ratchet straps for the trailer.
  • Trailer wiring. All of it. 
  • Varnish the brightwork
  • Get the battery ready and charged
  • Carpet the fenders of the trailer
  • Double check and replace lines as needed
  • Obtain another fender
  • Install the curtains for the fo'c'sle
  • Get the rubber marks off the hull
  • Replace rubber corks with a drain snap plugs
  • Find all my sailing attire
 I can't wait to get sailing. With my new schedule at work I have my afternoons to myself. Although the wide waters of Flathead really take a full day the lakes of the Swan are a very good possibility if I need to get a quick sail in. If I get the 7/11 up and sailing Frenchtown Pond is even closer for a sailing fix.
 The Western Montana Small Boat Association is holding it's first messabout under that name the 16th of May at 10am at Big Arm State Park. See our Facebook page for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment