Saturday, August 02, 2014

Why Build a PDR?

  Why not? In a fit of madness and a small paycheck this Friday I find myself suddenly and quite without warning on the cusp of PDR ownership. What is a PDR? It is by my estimation the perfect small sailboat. See my essay here on small boats. The Woman has mentioned that she'd like to learn how to sail and I was in need of a new jigsaw and that is how I've come to having two eight foot hull panels in my bedroom and a host of other cut an uncut lumber littering two boat yards.
 The PDR has a vaunted history and pedigree that cannot be denied even by it's most ardent detractors. It's dirt cheap, dirt simple, sails well enough and better then almost any boat that length and has proven time and time again that just because it's a simple plywood box does not mean it's a boat.
 A huge draw is the whimsey with which sailors are allowed. At this formative point I think I shall paint mine to resemble a frigate of the Napoleonic wars with (painted) gun ports and all. Some buff yellow and tan interior I think. A four sided sail of some variety. Side mounted leeboard.
 Time line calls for completion around mid August. Then it's off the pond for sailing. And why not, what building a boat is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment