Thursday, May 01, 2014

All the Fun Before Noon

  I now know what to do if I loose my forestay with the jib up. I could write it up in an epic post but it turns out I did a short video shortly after the event and will let myself do the talking.
It was a good day, if an eventful one. I learned a few things and I'd like to pass them on.
  • Rig Tuning. Rig Tuning. Rig Tuning. The recreational tuning for a Lido is to have little or no movement of the mast. That can't be overstated if you're cruising in a Lido.
  • The importance of good line If the turnbuckle had broken or the crimp come undone I was in a position to jury rig a new forestay with the paracord I keep in the anchor bucket. Having that 20' of line is important in so many ways.
  • Doing one thing at at time. I was suprised in how easily and naturally my triage of the boat was. I took it one step at a time, not rushing and working through the problem. I think my experience and preparation through running steam boilers and years of martial arts training have given me a set of problem solving skills that befit a solo sailor.
  • In looking back at the event I never felt that the situation was spiraling out of control or that I was in immediate physical danger. Yes the water was cold but my forethought as far as the weather and conditions meant the boat was stable and upright throughout the the monkeying on the foredeck. As a matter of fact the only water that entered the boat was the spray from intentionally beating through waves and the ice that fell out of the cooler. 
  I couldn't ask for a better first sail when something goes wrong. I remember yelling at the lake as I held my forestay in one hand behind my head while trying to get the clevis pin in with the other hand that it didn't get to win. The commentary alone must have been interesting. "Oh no you don't! Give me that. Fine. There. Okay what's next. Damn sail.  GET UP THERE!!". 
  The Typesetter and myself plan to go out again in two days time. I'm glad I had this chance to figure it all out. Because it'll only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment