Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Can it Daysail?

Heading out on Frenchtown Pond. Stolen shamelessly from www.andrewlinn.com
  The Blue Flower has been bugging me, sitting on her trailer. As boats do she's caused no small amount of day dreaming, planning and scheming. All the basics, like repainting, brightwork, and varnishing will need to be done. But beyond that the plan is to turn Seze into the best daysailer I know how to make.
Right now she's a great pond boat. But I'd like something that can take me a bit farther off shore. As I've mentioned previously the biggest water I can readily access is Flathead Lake, an hour and a half north of me. I've taken a Teal out on Polson Bay, the lower quarter of the lake and will use that as a base line for daysailing. I don't see me getting out on the big part of the lake until my Goose is done.
 So these plans of big water are going to mean some changes to the basic structure of the boat. The first sticking point is axillary propulsion. When there is wind in Polson Bay there is no better place for a pure sailboat. When there is no wind, there is no worse place. It's only about 14sq nautical miles but during the summer it's over run with power boats and jet skis. The ability to maneuver, even under oars will be essential. But we run into a few ergonomic problems. Rudder and boom interference are at the forefront.Coming a close second is where to store them. Oars are an emergency solution. Which means a pair of eight foot wood ones are not really what I'm looking for. I was looking online and found collapsible oars. Not ideal but they would store easily enough inside the vessel. Oar locks and the like can be worked out and I'm considering making the tiller a bit more removable. Again this for the when not if of dying wind. If I play in the bay best be prepared.
 Also in the works is the boom crutch and the boom tent. The crutch is pretty straight forward but there is a twist, It'll be expandable. This is to raise the boom for rowing. The tent is an idea I got from this entry at Log of the Spartina. This will allow for those naps when the wind does die for a bit and I have a good book to finish.
 And why not do duck boards? Allow for a flat place to lay down. Under the boom tent of course. Well the weather is a bit gloomy here but I have plans for brighter days. And that is one of the joys of owning your own boat.
"Cruising has two pleasures. One is to go out in wider waters from a sheltered place. The other is to go into a sheltered place from wider waters."
- Howard Bloomfield

No comments:

Post a Comment